Quantcast

May 2, 2012

Review ~ Providence by Jamie McGuire

In the old world shadows of Providence, Rhode Island, Nina Grey finds herself the center of a war between Hell and Earth.

Struggling with her father’s recent death, Nina meets Jared Ryel by chance…or so she believes. Although his stunning good looks and mysterious talents are a welcome distraction, it soon becomes clear that Jared knows more about Nina than even her friends at Brown University. When questions outnumber answers, Jared risks everything to keep the woman he was born to save—by sharing the secret he was sworn to protect.

When her father’s former associates begin following her in the dark, Nina learns that her father is not the man she thought he was, but a thief who stole from demons. Searching for the truth behind her father’s death, Nina stumbles upon something she never expected—something Hell wants—and only she holds the key.

Jamie McGuire is quickly becoming a favorite author of mine. I love her witty writing style and her ability to instill passion and steal multiple breaths from the reader. Providence kept me up late into the night (I see a trend forming with this author) crying, laughing, and growling (yes, I actually growled at one point) in frustration.

Most of the time, as a character-driven reader, I can see the characters independently from the story-line, but with this novel, the plot plays a significant role in creating the characters ~ this is the kind of novel that keeps you reading for hours on end. I was hoping for a little more background or history of Jared's heritage, but I'm a bit of a mythology/history fanatic, and there is more than enough explanation to keep the reader satisfied.


The emotions in this book are tangible in such a way that the reader can't help but feel the effects. Nina's feelings reflected in my mood as I read the book, and although it's usual for me to become personally vested in the story of a book, not many have affected my emotions as obviously as Providence or any other of Jamie McGuire's books I've read so far.

The relationship between Nina and Jared is nothing less than nerve-wracking-intense. It did feel a little forced or quick to form to me, as Nina fell unconditionally for Jared without question pretty much from their *first* aquaintance. This is the only element of the book that had me raising my eyebrows in disbelief, BUT the sincerity from Jared makes up for any doubts I may have had.

**Must Read** Incredible book, fabulous writer ~ definitely worth the all-nighters you're bound to pull when reading Jamie McGuire :)

Kobo Highlights


"Like you're not swimming in your own freakily potent pheromones right now," Kim said.

She didn't speak for the rest of the trip home to keep from spoiling the illusion with trivial things like the truth.

Anger was easier to control than feeling betrayed.

"Don't interrupt my anxiety attack. It's rude," I whispered.

I narrowed my eyes and mimicked Beth's crossed arms We must have looked ridiculous side by side; the Prom Queen Mafia.

A strange sense of accomplishment came over me; I had perfected the art of ripping out surveillance wires.

"Our relationship could unintentionally provoke Hell..."

"Ugh! Why can't Hell stay where it's at? Why does it always have to break loose?" she whined.


Happy Reading Everyone :)



~ Keely ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

I so appreciate you taking the time to comment :) It really means so much to me!! Thanks for stopping by!