Quantcast

Jun 15, 2012

Review: Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James

When literature student Anastasia Steele is drafted to interview the successful young entrepreneur Christian Grey for her campus magazine, she finds him attractive, enigmatic and intimidating. Convinced their meeting went badly, she tries to put Grey out of her mind - until he happens to turn up at the out-of-town hardware store where she works part-time.

The unworldly, innocent Ana is shocked to realize she wants this man, and when he warns her to keep her distance it only makes her more desperate to get close to him. Unable to resist Ana’s quiet beauty, wit, and independent spirit, Grey admits he wants her - but on his own terms.

Shocked yet thrilled by Grey's singular erotic tastes, Ana hesitates. For all the trappings of success – his multinational businesses, his vast wealth, his loving adoptive family – Grey is a man tormented by demons and consumed by the need to control. When the couple embarks on a passionate, physical and daring affair, Ana learns more about her own dark desires, as well as the Christian Grey hidden away from public scrutiny.

Can their relationship transcend physical passion? Will Ana find it in herself to submit to the self-indulgent Master? And if she does, will she still love what she finds?


Oh, if only there were more Christian Grey's in the world. I don't know if that would be a blessing or a curse, but I'd take it, either way.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this book that has caused such hysteria, resulting in fan clubs and hate clubs alike. I'm a little confused as to why some people loathe this book, so much so that there are actual sites dedicated to banning it. Although Fifty Shades is probably topping my favorites list when it comes to the romance genre, I didn't feel that the.. we'll call it *intimacy*.. was as horrifying and appalling as some made it out to be. Although those scenes take up plenty of residence in this novel, I feel that it has more to do with Christian's 'fifty shades of effed up' psyche than just whips and handcuffs for the sake of being kinky.

I fell in love with the story happening between Ana and Christian. Their meeting and attraction is unexpected for both of them, and it changes them, causing them to do things that are outside their normal realm of 'comfortable.' I mean, who wouldn't love being the reason the sexy, tormented, and moody as hell Christian Grey breaks his own very defined set of rules? It's no wonder Ana can't stay away.

Her innocence and inexperience in any kind of relationship is pretty obvious as she analyzes everything Christian says and does. I didn't know whether to hug her or slap her...(wait...okay, maybe "slapping" isn't the best plan to shake Ana Steele out of her palm-twitching-Grey-induced daze. It's official. The girl's standards will never be met by any other hearts-and-flowers guy she hopes to meet.) It can get a little annoying how obsessive she is about wanting "more" from him, but in a way, I get it. She doesn't want to be a toy - what woman does? - and although it has the potential to tear her heart to shreds, she's not afraid to stand up for what she wants and what she believes is good for her, although I don't think Christian Grey is something she'll ever get over.

When it comes down to it, I'd have to say I love this book and I'll most definitely be finishing the series - I ordered Fifty Shades Darker soon after I shook myself from the emotional stupor I was left in after finishing the last chapter of FS of Grey. It really is a whirlwind of emotions - cut out the 'erotica' and it would still be unbelievably intense.

Christian's dark, mysterious past; Ana's innocence and newly found strength; their unfailing ability to challenge each other. It's no wonder people become obsessed with this series. ;)


Happy Reading Everyone :)


~ Keely ~






2 comments:

  1. Ok, thank you so much for reviewing this book and breaking it down for me. I have been curious about it, with all the hype, but haven't been willing to actually spend the time to check it out (plus the waitlist for the ebook at my library is 600 people long!). Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 600 people? Holy wow.. I was a little hesitant to read it too, but it's awesome! should definitely check it out :)

    ReplyDelete

I so appreciate you taking the time to comment :) It really means so much to me!! Thanks for stopping by!