Quantcast

Oct 2, 2012

Tuesday Prelude



Tuesday Prelude is a meme inspired by Should Be Reading's Teaser Tuesday. It's the same concept, except I can't even pick just two sentences and call it good. I need more.... teasers, videos, pictures, interviews, etc., to make me feel like I've satisfactorily made you absolutely need to read this book :)...


This week's prelude is inspired by Drowning Instinct by Ilsa J. Bick....

I just finished this book, and... wow.. speechless.. "can't even write a review, yet" - speechless... this book was overwhelming ~ I felt.. no, experienced... every emotion you can imagine with this book.. It's just incredible...


There are stories where the girl gets her prince, and they live happily ever after. (This is not one of those stories.)

Jenna Lord’s first sixteen years were not exactly a fairytale. Her father is a controlling psycho and her mother is a drunk. She used to count on her older brother—until he shipped off to Afghanistan. And then, of course, there was the time she almost died in a fire. 

There are stories where the monster gets the girl, and we all shed tears for his innocent victim. (This is not one of those stories either.)

Mitch Anderson is many things: A dedicated teacher and coach. A caring husband. A man with a certain... magnetism. 

And there are stories where it’s hard to be sure who’s a prince and who’s a monster, who is a victim and who should live happily ever after. (These are the most interesting stories of all.)

Drowning Instinct is a novel of pain, deception, desperation, and love against the odds—and the rules.

Here are some of my favorite quotes... My copy is filled with dog ears (yup, I committed the "reader's mortal sin".. hey, at least I can't bring myself to highlight.. cut me some slack) so I could flip through and find the parts that hit me the hardest.

 
   "Finally a red bead oozed and ballooned, and I sighed with relief as my blood bubbled and drew out the poison that was Grandpa.
   There was this cutter back on the ward. She etched words and letters. But I didn't.
   Honestly, Bob: how do you carve a scream?"

   "I also have-sensed that we were dancing around something, doing a complicated series of steps to some ancient rhythm that he knew but I didn't yet understand. Or maybe I was dancing alone, the whole scenario enfolding in only my imagination. Like so many other things."

   "Despite the hours I'd spent getting shrink-wrapped, I still wasn't sold that talking did a whole heck of a lot except let everyone else know what was going on inside your head. It's not like talking ever made anything go away."

   "I was alone. I was sweet sixteen, the age when a mermaid finds her prince. I believed in magic and love at first sight and fate. I was every girl who ever lived. So now I had an adventure all my own, a deliciously agonizing secret."

   "He was facing me now, leaning forward, face intent, his eyes grabbing mine so I couldn't look away. We were like matching bookends, almost touching but with volumes between us and stories, so many stories."

   "Cured is just a synonym for coming around to your way of thinking."


It's just so friggin' good, I have to share all this with you. I have to get it out before it drives me CRAZY! This book had me gasping for breath because I didn't realize I had held it for so many pages... trust me, okay?

And my favorite, favorite, absolute favorite part....

 
"They call it the drowning instinct. It's when drowning doesn't look like drowning. ... you don't look like you're in trouble. You don't scream, but that's because you can't... You're just there, so people don't notice your dying. ..."



And I'm speechless all over again.

Just. Read. It. Now.


Happy Reading Everyone :)


~ Keely ~


8 comments:

  1. Awesome! I think even I'm speechless. Really nice stuff. I'm off to check out the book. :)

    It would be great if you could stop by my Teaser Tuesday post.

    Sarika.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. It sounds like this book really grabbed you. I'm not sure I'm ready for that kind of emotion, but you've intrigued me. I like the quote about them being bookends with the stories between them. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a very dark and not so happy book. The teasers were well written too! Check out my TT @ This Is How It's Supposed To Be

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book does sound awesome! I will definitely check it out.
    Here's my TT
    Ashley
    #BookNerd

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sounds awesome !! I hdn't actually heard of it until now .. I only knew about Ilsa J. Bick Ashes series. Thanks for bringing this book to my attention, I love the quotes !! I look forward to read your review on this book Keely

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this idea for a meme. I hope you make for all us to join. I would love to share books I have read and adored with great teasers.

    Thanks for sharing all your teasers. All well written. Love the last one. Have to check it out.

    Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Fallen Angels You know, that's a good idea! I'll have to plan for that next week ;) It's such an incredible book.. not really a happy, light read (if you haven't guessed), but.. holy crap.. so good...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very intense teasers! Sounds like you have really enjoyed reading the book!

    My TT this week is from He Came For Mine, Book Two in The Protector Series
    CarolynBrown-Books

    ReplyDelete

I so appreciate you taking the time to comment :) It really means so much to me!! Thanks for stopping by!