Quantcast

Dec 1, 2012

NaNoWriMo



Well, I didn't reach my goal this year of 50,000 words, but I got pretty darn close. What does that mean to me? That I can definitely pull it off next year by managing my time a little better. SO much happened this month, I don't even know where to start. Between writing and working, my husband trying to talk while I write and two furry children's cold noses nudging my arms. It was crazy. But throw in a holiday and family visiting every weekend... I'm amazed I made it as far as I did. 

I'm not trying to make excuses. Trust me. Now that I look back on this month, I see where I could have squeezed in a paragraph here or a few pages there. It's a work in progress and you learn as you go. Next year I'll nip this in the butt and cross off my list of "things I want to accomplish." 

What did I learn? A whole helluva lot. I've tried to start writing, but my inner critic usually gets the best of me with that negative voice saying "that's crap," and I typically end up highlighting and deleting and ending up with the blank page I started with. Not this time.

NaNo taught me to just write. To give your inner editor the cold shoulder and just get those fingers flying across the keyboard. That's what proved to be the most difficult, but I've finally learned how to just keep plowing forward and let my imagination do the rest. 

I learned that I surprise myself. When I'm reading, I can't help but wonder how the author came up with that or how they created these characters that are so easy to fall in love with. It may be different for everyone, but for me, I think that once you get to know your characters and the story, the rest just kinda flows over.

In all my previous attempts at writing, I've never experienced that moment where the characters and the story takes over and things just pop up on the screen and you wonder "did I write that, or did they?" It's the most amazing and astounding thing, and I'll read it back over a few days later completely shocked that that came from my mind. I guess I didn't think I was capable. 

Now, instead of wondering how in the heck I'm going to get started on my novel, I'm rushing home from my day job because I can't wait to continue working on it.

Although I didn't accomplish my goal according to the numbers, I don't feel like I failed. I don't feel lost in my own little world anymore because I know I can now put it down on paper. NaNo helped me find the confidence to know that I am capable of creating a story, inventing characters, and just writing

Probably one of the best things I've ever done was sign up for this crazy month of writing, despite my fear. I've learned so much, and will, without a doubt, be back in the running for next year.


Happy Reading (and Writing) Everyone :)


~ Keely ~

3 comments:

  1. That is SOO wonderful!! and though you didnt quite reach 50000, you are still a winner because you learned so much! You learned how to JUST WRITE!!! im so happy for you and your accomplishments! You can only go up from here!!
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Mrs. Jones Thank you so much!! You have no idea how much I appreciate the support :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Nano is more about making time to write than about "winning". I know over the month a lot of awesome plot ideas spawned from forcing myself to write 250 or 500 more words. The writing itself is bland and in desperate need of editing, but it's a start.

    You ARE a winner. 41k is an awesome start for a novel.

    Don't forget to keep writing, even though Nano is over. Even if its 30 mins a day. You'll improve your writing skills and finish your novel.

    <3

    ReplyDelete

I so appreciate you taking the time to comment :) It really means so much to me!! Thanks for stopping by!