Quantcast

Jan 3, 2013

Movie Review: The Tall Man


The first time I heard of this movie was when I was browsing through the entertainment abyss of Netflix, trying to find something for "movie night." It was my choice, and my husband has come to expect that when I get to pick,  it's going to be suspenseful, scary, weird, or all of the above. The image of Jessica Biel being hovered over by a creepy dude in the cliche black hood with the ever present scary-movie-cloudy-skies did it for me, and I pressed play. My husband just sighed and settled in, getting ready for what he thought would be the same as all the other movies I usually pick. 

And you know what? He was wrong! This movie threw us both for a wild loop, and I can't believe this movie didn't get more hype than it did. 

The Tall Man is about a nurse, Julia, who lives in the podunk town of Cold Rock, Washington, where there are no schools, no jobs, and really no morals. Her husband used to be the center of the town as it's doctor, but he sadly met his end, and Julia is left to fill his shoes in taking care of the slightly dysfunctional people of the town. There are legends of a "tall man," a kidnapper of the town's children, and when Julia's son is taken from her one night, she'll go to whatever lengths it takes to get him back. 

Sounds simple enough, but it's anything but. This movie immerses you into the town, bringing you inside the lives of it's people, giving you a glimpse of how they live. A place where my mother's boyfriend gets my sister pregnant isn't anywhere I'd want to stay, and it seems that one kid in particular, Jenny, feels the same way. Even so, there's something supposedly more evil lurking in the woods than the trauma caused by some of these debilitated homes. He's called "the tall man," and if you turn your back, he'll take your children.

Eighteen missing and not a trace found. Who the heck is this guy? Where is he taking and what is he doing to these kids? Julia leads us to the truth, and it's a helluva lot more than she, or we as viewers, could ever have bargained for. 

Who's really the bad guy here? You end up changing your mind seven different times until you're just not sure anymore. This movie holds twist after surprise, and leaves you standing on both sides of right and wrong. 

Like I said, I can't believe this movie hasn't gotten more attention. I may have vaguely seen a poster up here and there, but I hadn't ever heard anyone talking about it. It's a fabulously twisted movie that sweeps you up in the suspense and leaves you speechless. 

Popcorn anyone? Because I totally recommend this for your next movie night.


Happy Reading (and Viewing) Everyone :)


~ Keely ~



No comments:

Post a Comment

I so appreciate you taking the time to comment :) It really means so much to me!! Thanks for stopping by!